The Venipuncture Certificate course is designed to assist medical personnel to develop skills needed to draw blood samples for laboratory testing. The course is open to any health care personal who wishes to enhanced skills in phlebotomy techniques. Students explore blood chemistry, hematology and the appropriate equipment required to perform phlebotomy. In this course, students identify side effects, complications with the procedure and solutions to remedy such complications. They will learn how to record and report all pertinent information on the tubes and on documentation. Students will demonstrate and practice aseptic techniques while performing phlebotomy on mannequin arms and on live case studies. Students learn through a combination of theory and practical lab experience.
Course duration is 1 day
Learning Outcomes: Students will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Describe basic anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system as it relates to phlebotomy.
- Demonstrate aseptic technique, maintenance of asepsis and prevention of infection in venipuncture.
- Assemble the appropriate supplies for blood removal
- Explain the ‘no blood-spill’ technique of venipuncture on adults.
- Demonstrate appropriate handling and disposal of needles and sharps.
- Demonstrate the skill of venipuncture.
- Summarize the potential complications of phlebotomy and identify appropriate management.
- Identify the tubes required for different laboratory tests
- Demonstrate technique using vacutainer
- Health teaching after venipuncture
Course is tax deductible
A certificate will be awarded upon completion of this program