Train now to become a certified nurse psychotherapist. The Nurse Psychotherapist Certificate program is designed to train nurses in the skills knowledge and experience in performing counselling and psychotherapy safety in private practice in the community, or hospital settings.
Psychotherapy is a controlled act in which nurses can perform independently providing that the nurse has the necessary training, skills, experience, and judgement to perform the task.
This course is aimed at enhancing the skills, training, and hands-on experience for nurses who wish to learn or enhance their knowledge, skills and experience in performing counselling and psychotherapy to clients in various health care settings.
This course utilizes counseling and psychotherapy methods, Cognitive intervention, Behavioural intervention, CBT psychotherapy theoretical frameworks to assist in behavior and mental health changes. Usually nursing incorporates some form of health counseling within the definition of nursing practice, and Structured Psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy –CBT, can be done with individuals, families, and groups.
The nurse must be registered with their respective College of Nurses and their nursing association which provides malpractice insurance.
The course duration is 1 year and includes 750 hours, comprising of online theory and 450 hours of practice hours using direct client contact that the nurse will obtain from their communities.
The nurse will be expected to submit 50 case studies, recordings of CBT therapy sessions with client’s consents including history, formulation, and treatment plan for the same patient.
The nurse will be expected to complete 100 hours of clinical supervision under the mentorship of an experience nurse psychotherapist or a registered psychotherapist.
What is covered in the course includes:
The role of the nurse and scope of practice of the nurse in providing the control act psychotherapy independently in the community setting or in private practice
- What is counselling and psychotherapy
- Establishing the therapeutic relationship
- What is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – CBT
- Assessment, Formulation and Goals
- Socratic Methods and Conceptualizing
- Cognitive Intervention and Techniques
- Behavioural Intervention and Techniques
- Mood disorder including Depression and Anxiety disorders
- Anxiety Disorders Specific Models and treatment protocol
- Psychoeducation intervention and group therapy
- Evaluating CBT practices
- Using Supervision in CBT
- Report writing and documentation
- Maintaining clinical gain, Preventing Setback and Relapse Prevention
- Starting a business as a nurse psychotherapist
- Submitting Billing with insurance companies for coverage for treatments
Upon completion of the program the Nurse Psychotherapist Certification, nurses will be awarded with a certificate and will be able to use the protected title CPN/ CNP – Certified Nurse Psychotherapist and a 3 year membership with the Nurse Psychotherapist Association
If you are interested please fill out the contact form and submit the form